[Israel.pm] Suggestion for lectures

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Wed Oct 27 08:09:02 PDT 2004

Hello,

I wonder if there's any interest in a lecture that discusses
data structures?

something along these lines:

* space and time complexity and some metrics (big O notation,
common caes, average case)

* array/list hashtable: what's the theory behind them, and
how cheap/expensive it is to use them for various purposes
in terms of time and memory

It is possible to explain all these in the context of Perl:

1. How array/list and hash are implemented in Perl, and what
are the impacts?
2. How internally Perl implements various operations on
array/list and hash?

I also suggest followup lectures for this where I can talk
about more complex data structures, such as suffix trees,
suffix arrays, or any other data structure that people are
interested in.

I also suggest a lecture about what Graphs are (the one that
has vertices and edges, not the ones your spreadsheet
produces), popular ways of implementing graphs, and some
popular and useful graph algorithms. This lecture has
nothing to do with Perl, but I can give examples using Perl
modules that are available on CPAN and also give examples in
Perl code.

Any interest? Suggestions? Requests?

--
Shlomo Yona