XML::Simple is Evil [was Re: [Israel.pm] Hebrew to UTF-8, completely out of ideas!]

david istermann interDist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 00:49:49 PDT 2004

Hi,

> How do you represent something like that:

> Hello <b>World</b>!.
=====QUOTE=====
Mixed content (elements which contain both text content and nested
elements) will not be represented in a useful way - element order and
significant whitespace will be lost. If you need to work with mixed
content , then XML::Simple is not the right tool for your job.
=====END QUOTE=====

> Or how do you distinguish between attributes and child tags?
You make the child tag a reference to an anonymous array.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my previous post, in spite of its limited
capabilities, XML::Simple suits me in this very case where I don't
have mixed content, nor attributes nor processing instructions.

Cheers,
David.