XML::Simple is Evil [was Re: [Israel.pm] Hebrew to UTF-8, completely out of ideas!]

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Oct 24 13:02:52 PDT 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 12:03, david istermann wrote:
> Hi,
> 2Shlomi:
> > XML::Simple is Evil if you ask me.
>
> Why do you say this? It's really really simple but in this case it
> meets my needs (no usage of attributes, the structure is straight
> forward...)

Because transforming a Perl 5 nested data-structure to and from an XML text,
in a way that should be suitable for every XML file, is not a good way of
manipulating XML. It does a lot of extra manipulations and assumptions, and
is prone to errors. How do you represent something like that:

Hello <b>World</b>!.

Or how do you distinguish between attributes and child tags?

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il