[Israel.pm] Nargile

Uri Bruck bruck at actcom.net.il
Fri Oct 15 04:49:21 PDT 2004

Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2004 04:08:32 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
>>CPAN::Nargile is on its way to CPAN.
>

> I thought "Nargila" is a Hebrew word.
It was adopted from Persian to Arabic anf from Arabic to Hebrew.
Formerly the bowl was made of coconut - nargil, hence the name.
The English is indeed hookah. Random House offers three alternative
spellings for nargile, the other two are nargileh and narghile. From
this I assume that the pronunciation thouls approximate our own rather
than the assumptions a native English speaker who's never seen the word.
The OED has entries for the spellings with the h. The OED is an
historical dictionary and ony has entries for words that appeared in
print. It has citation from the late 19th cent. Two of them offer the
spelling nargilly and narghilly - in other words, a foreign word that no
one knows how to spell.

--
Thanks,
Uri