[Israel.pm] Detecting Random characters

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Mon Oct 4 02:22:47 PDT 2004

Shlomo Yona said:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Yuval Yaari wrote:
>
>> DJ Pumps wrote:
>
> Cool!

I didn't think you'd like it :)

[...]
>> Good questions, thanks.
>
> You're welcome.
> Now, use them as the skeleton for your lecture.
> Don't think I'll let you get away with writing about it on
> the mailing list!

I just did :)

>> #3:
>> The only way I used it so far is with Evolution.
>> Any mail client that can pipe your mail to a program, and check for
>> exit code (such as Evolution) could be used.
> [...]
>
> I used it with pine 1-2 years ago, and then stopped.
> So, it would be nice if you can give a few cookbook tips on
> how to do it in popular mailers:
>  	mutt
>  	pine
>  	evolution
>  	mozilla-mail

I don't use mutt/pine, so I'm not into configuring it.
I'll look on the web and see how easy/hard it is to configure them to work
with SA.
But I could check how it can be done with Gnus and convert you guys :)
Last time I checked you couldn't use mozilla-mail for it.
Mozilla-mail has its own junk mail protection, which didn't work so well
for me.
Obviously, SA works a lot better (still 100% accurate - and I get tons of
SPAM).
Evolution <2.0 is a second to configure, and 2.0 should have built-in SA
support.
Sorry guys, I don't think Windows clients could be configured to use SA.

>> #4: I could only speak about my hackish qmail/vpopmail integration. I
>> can copy-paste from other sites about Sednmail or qmail with patches
>> (there are a few), but I will warn you in advance that I didn't try
>> these. And if you're using Sendmail, it's time to move on to qmail
>> anyway :)
>
> That's fair.
> Please do that.

No problem.

>> #5 & #6:
>> I can't answer these myself.
>> As I said, I installed it on my mail server and that's about all I'm
>> going to do with it.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to look around for uses and suggest them
> + a snippet to demonstrate?

I will. Any directions? What were you thinking about?
I actually can't think of anything I'd use SA for except for the obvious.

>>> I would really like to hear in depth answers to the above 6
>>> points.
>>
>> Optimists, aren't we DJ Pumps? :)
>
> Well -- you seem to want to do it but lack the skeleton, and
> I meerely suggested one for you. I hope you'll do it
> though... I'd love to hear that.

I meant you're optimistic as for "in depth answers to the above 6 points".
I could speak of everything I know about these 6 points (currently, not
"in depth", but I'll read on the web).

>> Please consider the line:
>
> Well, as most of us probably didn't you're already a few
> steps ahead. :-)

Good point :)

  --Yuval