[Israel.pm] Detecting Random characters

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Mon Oct 4 01:32:38 PDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Yuval Yaari wrote:

> DJ Pumps wrote:

Cool!

>> 1. What is is?
>> 2. How does it work?
>> 3. How do you install/configure it for personal emails
>> pulled from your ISP/university/whatever? (how do I use it
>> even without being root and without having any control over
>> the mail server)
>> 4. How do you install/configure it for your own mail server?
>> 5. Why would someone want to interface it using Perl?
>> 6. How does one interface it using Perl?
>
> Good questions, thanks.

You're welcome.
Now, use them as the skeleton for your lecture.
Don't think I'll let you get away with writing about it on
the mailing list!

> #3:
> The only way I used it so far is with Evolution.
> Any mail client that can pipe your mail to a program, and check for exit
> code (such as Evolution) could be used.
[...]

I used it with pine 1-2 years ago, and then stopped.
So, it would be nice if you can give a few cookbook tips on
how to do it in popular mailers:
 	mutt
 	pine
 	evolution
 	mozilla-mail
.
.
.

> #4: I could only speak about my hackish qmail/vpopmail integration.
> I can copy-paste from other sites about Sednmail or qmail with patches
> (there are a few), but I will warn you in advance that I didn't try these.
> And if you're using Sendmail, it's time to move on to qmail anyway :)

That's fair.
Please do that.

> #5 & #6:
> I can't answer these myself.
> As I said, I installed it on my mail server and that's about all I'm going
> to do with it.

Perhaps you'd like to look around for uses and suggest them
+ a snippet to demonstrate?

>> I would really like to hear in depth answers to the above 6
>> points.
>
> Optimists, aren't we DJ Pumps? :)

Well -- you seem to want to do it but lack the skeleton, and
I meerely suggested one for you. I hope you'll do it
though... I'd love to hear that.

> Please consider the line:
>>> I just installed/configured it.

Well, as most of us probably didn't you're already a few
steps ahead. :-)

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il