[Israel.pm] Detecting Random characters

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Sun Oct 3 12:38:11 PDT 2004

> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 03:05:21PM +0200, Ronen Angluster wrote:
>
>> i thought bout it last night as i was handeling a big spam attack on
>> my company's customers.
>> i noticed that alot of mails came from hotmail, and all the mailboxes
>> were random,
>> i.e: they all where in the form of: mkdafmer at hotmail.com,
>> dnwqror at hotmail.com
>> and so on.
>
> You are probably better off using SpamAssassin against this crud. It has
> lots of rules already that catch most spam.

I upgraded to SA 3 (easy - with CPAN shell), and I'm in love!
If you want my (very strict) rules/scores, let me know.
I'm running spamd/spamc so it takes ~2-3 seconds per e-mail, and I have tons
of rules.
The new SURBL plugin is just amazing, thanks to it I now have a 100% success
rate.
I'm also caching SURBL using BIND, so it's generally faster.
I managed to use it in my existing qmail/vpopmail configuration (without
re-compilations, just hacks :)).

Ronen, don't think about writing your own spam filter, use SA.

Might be off-topic but I think I read on /. once (Gaal, don't tell them
about my /. obsession, please) that there's a program that detects it when
your cat walks on your keyboard and automagically disables your keyboard.
The guy who wrote it looked for paw-patterns or something. Yes, that's sick.
Stupid, yet useful if you are the owner of the dumbest feline to walk the
earth (or in this case, your keyboard).

  --Yuval (why don't I have a nickname?)