[Israel.pm] Tcl.pm

David Baird david.baird at cmcrossroads.com
Sun Oct 3 03:11:33 PDT 2004

> I have just gave it a test run and it seems to be working well
> on simple Tcl scripts.
> Does anyone here have experience with running Tcl code from
> within Perl ?

> If for example there is a company that need to automate
> things, and let's say they work in a network environment, and
> let's say
> their routers are Cisco and can handle remote controls via
> Tcl (or use SmartBit that can work with Tcl), and let's say their
> automation environment is TOTALLY built around Perl...

I would think the easiest route is to provide support for Tcl scripts
from within the automation environment. For example, get a free copy of
Tcl, like ActiveTcl from ActiveState. Then, run the Tcl command from a
Perl script. A second option, which still requires a copy of a Tcl
runtime tool, is to use the Inline::Tcl module. I don't know anything
about the Tcl module, but looks interesting, and seems to require
libtcl, whatever that is.

-David