[Israel.pm] A question of packaging

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Sat Oct 2 16:12:03 PDT 2004

>> Is there a common, standard way to do this?
>
> Non of these exist.
>
> I'd recommend eithre building the rpm hierachy but then
> your user will need to install 10,000 rpms I guess
> and I am not familiar with.
> Look at this thing for rpm generation:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Ovid/
>

> Otherwise I'd take all the needed and non-standard packages
> put them all in my "lib" directory in a working layout and
> distribute all the files in one single gzip.

Gabor is right, but also consider the fact that some modules require other
modules that require other modules (ugh, you see the point) that you may not
be supplying.
Or even "worse", they might require a minimal perl version.
If you're not using too many modules, I guess it'd be easier to just put
them in a lib directory like Gabor suggested.
Or perhaps just keep all their tar.gz files and write some script that
installs them (pretty easy, actually).
I'm not creative enough, I guess.

Why are we up and writing about Perl at this time when there's work
tomorrow? :)

  --Yuval