[Israel.pm] December 2nd's talk

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Nov 23 06:13:23 PST 2004

Hello,

I'd like to withdraw my talk about XML::XPathScript and
instead give a talk about

 	"A gentle introduction to automatic classification"

I'll briefly explain what a classification problem is. Then,
I'll introduce a practical instance of a classification
problem: Part-Of-Speech Tagging. Finally, I will present a
simple algorithm that "learns" a classifier by examples (and
an implementation of it).

This talk will give you some basic background on a very
common "machine learning" problem and one of the simple and
basic solutions for it. The example will demonstrate a basic
problem in natural language processing and a common solution
to it.

I think that all that is interesting and useful by itself,
but I'm sure you'll be excited to see how easy it is to
implement all this in Perl.

I'll need about 90 minutes for this. I can do it in 60
minutes, but knowing the audience, I expect a lot of
questions and debates, so I'll be grateful for the full 90
minutes.

What do you say?

--
Shlomo Yona