[Israel.pm] Has anyone compared Win ActiveState Perl to LinuxPerl ?

David Baird david.baird at cmcrossroads.com
Sun Nov 14 06:17:47 PST 2004

> 1. What problems have you people found with AS Perl?
> 2. How fast is Linux Perl compared with AS Perl?
> 3. How much of CPAN works okay with AS Perl ? what about the PPM
> repositories?
> 4. For people who have used both, which do you prefer, and why?
> 5. What functionality does Linux Perl have that AS Perl
> does not and vice versa?

I am working with ActivePerl for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Since I am
concerned about multi-platform scripts, I want to be very certain that
the Perl I use is consistent for all three platforms. I get that level
of confidence with ActivePerl. As for Komodo, it was designed for Linux
and ported to Windows. It works much better on Linux than on Windows. I
like installing with ppm, it is usually very quick, I find what I need
95% of the time, and I again am confident the modules were tested
against the version of ActivePerl I am using.

-David