[Israel.pm] little bit O.T. :Perl regex vs grep regex

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Wed Nov 10 12:32:22 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 09:40:06PM +0200, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> >I hope this is not too mach off topic,
> >is there any CLI tool that equals to the bash command line tool "grep"
> >but with the power of perl regexes?
[...]
> grep -P
> Read The Friendly Manual.

Beh, that uses pcre. Might as well call perl -e and be done with it.

(Not arguing that perl is much faster -- sometimes it won't be -- but in
terms of availability it is likely to be better than GNU grep (the
others don't have pcre support) and then hey, you also have Perl to do
stuff with your matches for you.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/