[Israel.pm] YAPC talk proposals

Issac Goldstand margol at beamartyr.net
Sun Nov 7 00:23:30 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Baird" <david.baird at cmcrossroads.com>
To: "'Perl in Israel'" <perl at perl.org.il>
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: [Israel.pm] YAPC talk proposals

>> * Perl Web Services (60-90 minutes - This would probably be
>> an intro to
>> SOAP::Lite (0.60 - maybe with some 0.65 features if I have
>> neough time to
>> learn them well) - a bulk of the lecture would probably need
>> to be spent
>> introducing background topics of SOAP, XML-RPC, WSDL, etc.  Also an
>> explanation of how loose binding makes web services in Perl
>> so much easier
>> than in most other languages)
>
> This topic would probably require three lectures:
>
> * Introduction to web services, XML-RPC and SOAP and a simple client
> script
> * Creating a web service with SOAP in Perl
> * Examination of living and breathing web service and clients
>
> Such a series would comprise a "track" in the YAPC. It might also
> attract a different interest group to each, like I'd like to go to a
> lecture on the last topic, since I am well versed in the first two.
>
> -David

Very much so.  My idea was just to do a single "showcase" presentation - one
that simply briefly introduces each topic without really going into much
detail.  The reasoning behind that is that I don't personally want to give a
"tutorial" or "track" on my own at a one day conference.  I really don't
gain that much by doing it (except possibly credibility as the local guru on
the subject, which I'm not so sure that I am), and I lose out on all the
other interesting lectures being given.

  Issac