[Israel.pm] Building a threaded server using Perl?

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Sun May 30 05:11:27 PDT 2004

I also want to emphasise that I'm not looking for OS/kernel solutions.

I just want my server to be able to concurrently serve a few clients
instead of iterating over all of them one by one - so if I have 10,000
clients connected, it won't take ages to send them all something (e.g:
sending them updated data [which is sent every X seconds or requested by
the client]).

I was thinking about threading (I would prefer it over [pre-]forking if
it works flawlessly).
One problem I was thinking about is my "shared" hash (locking issues and
such).

What I forgot to ask: is there copy-on-write when using threads and
modifying a shared hash?
Keeping mem/cpu usage is essential, of course.

  --Yuval