[Israel.pm] Building a threaded server using Perl?

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun May 30 03:14:14 PDT 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:47:40PM +0300, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> I wrote a few servers that currently handle a few hundreds of users
> without a problem.
> I use IO::Select which, as far as I understand, will make everything
> really slow once the server hits bigger loads.
> My company wants me to make sure everything is "future-proof", so once
> we have more clients per server - things will stay smooth.

If you can assume POSIX, give IO::Poll a shot. If you can also assume
linux, then try the much faster epoll API with IO::EPoll (should be a
drop-in replacement to IO::Poll). You'll need a relatively new kernel.

I don't have first-hand experience with either, though, so take this
with a grain of salt. But Brad FitzPatrick of LiveJournal fame has been
using epoll with great success. Look up memcached and Perlball.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/