[Israel.pm] upgrading to Perl 5.8.4

Gabor Szabo gabor at pti.co.il
Thu May 20 01:15:33 PDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Shlomo Yona wrote:

> That's good practice. But now, how would you upgrade the
> "original" or "preinstalled" Perl of the system with the
> newer one (5.8.4 in this case)? I would hate to maintain two
> Perl versions on my system when I know I only want the
> recent one.

I don't see a reason to "maintain" the old version as you leave it there
only to be used by the system and not by your programs.

I agree regarding the possibility of confusion duing installation though.

Gabor
ps. Actually I replaced my pre-installed perl on my Debian system with my
new perl which basically broke the internal administration of the system.
I think I'll reinstall the old perl and will follow what I have just
suggested to you :-)