[Israel.pm] upgrading to Perl 5.8.4

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Thu May 20 00:35:45 PDT 2004

Even if you install from an SRPM, it could still have all the dependencies. I
had a similar problem myself trying to upgrade something, and kept getting
nabbed by a maze of twisty little dependencies, all alike (:-). For Mandrake,
upgrading Perl is especially tricky since most, if not all, of the Mandrake
admin apps are written in Perl, and so it's nearly impossible to upgrade it
without affecting the entire installation. You could try --nodeps or --force
or whatever, but that's just asking for trouble in this case.

I used to have Mandrake, but just changed over to Arch Linux. A very
interesting, efficient distro, for those so inclined.

Scott