[Israel.pm] perl and DB

Ran Eilam eilara at cortext.co.il
Thu May 6 17:12:00 PDT 2004

> When I want to work with DBs such asOracle, so I need only
> Perl module, or should I get in addition DLLs/s.o.  from Oracle ?

Yes DBD::Oracle works on top of OCI, so you need it installed.

>From the DBD::Oracle README:

"Install enough Oracle software to enable DBD::Oracle to build. That
usually includes Pro*C and SQL*Net. That's not very specific because it
varies so much between Oracle releases."

Just installation of sqlplus from the Oracle9i CD should be enough.

If you don't want to install any Oracle software there are other
options, like using a ODBC-Oracle driver and DBD::ODBC,  or a JDBC-thin
driver with some Java-Perl bridge (e.g. Inline::Java).

Ran