[Israel.pm] Perl version migration

Jason Elbaum Jason.Elbaum at freescale.com
Sun May 2 04:57:15 PDT 2004

Omer Zak wrote:
> Is it possible to have both Perl 5.8 and Perl 5.004 installed in your
> system, and to have the old scripts invoke Perl 5.004?

Thanks to everyone who commented on this.

Sure, we can install new Perl alongside old Perl - that's what we have
now for 5.6 (for example). The annoyance is that scripts which need a
particular version have to point to it explicitly (
#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.6.1 ) or they'll always get 5.004. On the other
hand, if we just install new perl in place of old perl, we risk
disturbing  old scripts which may rely on features of 5.004 without even
knowing it. And it's probably not realistic to review all our existing
scripts and test them for transitioning to new versions of Perl.

So is it *ever* possible to get out of this trap? Or will we be stuck
forever with default perl at version 5.004, and new versions selected
explicitly by the name of the perl executable?

Thanks,

Jason Elbaum
Freescale Semiconductor Israel (formerly Motorola Semiconductor)