[Israel.pm] utf-8 hebrew

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Sun May 2 08:22:59 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Omer Zak wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
> > "\x{5db}\x{5dc}\x{5d1}";
> > "\x{d7}\x{9b}\x{d7}\x{9c}\x{d7}\x{91}";
> >
> > The first I got by reading a file using utf8 and
>
> The first string is in UCS-2 encoding (each character is encoded in 16
> bits; Unicode characters beyond U+FFFF are encoded using surrogate pairs
> [this is only my guess, as there is no such a thing in the example
> string]).

OK, so I changed the submit form to send GET request instead of POST
and on the URL I saw  %D7%9B%D7%9C%D7%91 which is the second string.
I assume it sends the same string when using POST.

So things seem to work correctly or at least consistently once
the string reaches the server.

Why does my browser (both Opera and Mozilla) send the abow sequence ?

Is this the HTTP standard ?
Is this something to do with the way I entered the text ?
  (Which was copy pasting the same text as the browser displayed
   in a utf-8 encoded page)