[Israel.pm] Apache::SessionManager too "expensive"? [Or: better session management]

Pinkhas Nisanov nisanov at netvision.net.il
Sun May 2 02:41:59 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 12:07, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> Would writing my own handler for sessions (either file or database,
> shared memory is too expensive in my opinion, unless it shows a big
> performance boost) be any faster, or is it generally a slow procedure?
> I didn't want to waste my time before I ask.

It may be much faster if you will use client side for session
management ( cookies, hidden input fields ). If you do not
need to store session data on every request, so use cookie
for it. Extract stored ( DB or file ) data on first request,
encode it in one string and store on client side. You can
encrypt it if you want user will not see session data. On
every new request renew cookie content. Problem with it is
that you have size limits for session data, but you can compress
it or store only frequently used data.

regards
Pinkhas Nisanov