[Israel.pm] Multilingual Web Sites with Perl?

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Mar 28 03:46:46 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 11:25:30AM +0200, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> I need to write a pretty simple administrative site, but the problem is
> that they want options for both English and Hebrew.

The best l10n/i18n framework I knoe of in Perl is Autrijus Tang's
Locale::Maketext::Lexicon. He wrote an excellent intro/survey here:

     http://www.autrijus.org/webl10n/webl10n.html

As for directionality, may I suggest you use CSS and exploit its
cascading feature. That is, include a runtime-determined "lang.css" that
does DIR="RTL" (uh, or the css equivalent which I've just forgotten)
on the appropriate classes for Hebrew, and includes the rest from a
master stylesheet.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/