[Israel.pm] Multilingual Web Sites with Perl?

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Sun Mar 28 02:53:48 PST 2004

Shlomo Yona wrote:

> There are several things to keep in mind:
>
>1. Directionality of the text: Alignments will not
>necessarily work the same.

Adding DIR="RTL" in the body would be easy with any template system...
I'm almost sure it stands in the W3C standards.

>2. Would you go on translation of complete screens or
>translation of phrases or words?

Translation of words would be stupid. "You are driving me nuts" == "Ata
masi'a oti egozim". That doesn't work :)
I don't see any difference between the other two. Translating a complete
screen is translating it phrase by phrase...
I was thinking of a hash table. That also answers #4 - I could just add
a new language to the hash.
But how do I represent it in a template...? I was thinking about using
TT but now when I think about it, I've seen a good sample in the Mason
book (which you have :)) for this kind of things:
http://www.masonbook.com/book/chapter-2.mhtml
(Components Called With Content... I love these things in Mason!!!).

>3. Which representation of Hebrew do you use? How well does
>your code handle that representation the same way it handles
>the English text? (visual vs. logical, iso-8858-8 vs.
>unicode, utf8 vs. ucs2 ... etc.)

My code will not do much, or any, processing of hebrew text. The UI will
be in hebrew, but basically everything comes from the DB, or is inserted
to the DB.
Except for date re-formating, I don't think there would be any
difference in the form handling, etc.

>4. How easy will you be able to add text in a third language
>to screens in both languages? (see #3 above as well)

If using the hash table, pretty easily.
Otherwise [*cough* give me more suggestions please *cough*], depends on
the solution.
Basically, there's hardly a need for hebrew, and I don't think they
would ever need any other language.

>I'll leave the Perl related technical side to others to
>answer.

I would love to hear your technical answers too :)