[Israel.pm] Multilingual Web Sites with Perl?

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Sun Mar 28 01:55:21 PST 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Yuval Yaari wrote:

> Does anyone have experience in writing multilingual websites with Perl?
> Any preferred templating system (I was thinking of using TT, even though
> I love Mason) that would make the task easier?
> Would you create a hash like:
> %Translate = (
>     'NoUsername' => { en => 'Username must be given', he=> '....' },
> );
> Or maybe a lot of IF statements in the templates, or two different
> templates for each page (would probably make maintenance painful :))?
>
> Any comments would help, thanks!

There are several things to keep in mind:

1. Directionality of the text: Alignments will not
necessarily work the same.
2. Would you go on translation of complete screens or
translation of phrases or words?
3. Which representation of Hebrew do you use? How well does
your code handle that representation the same way it handles
the English text? (visual vs. logical, iso-8858-8 vs.
unicode, utf8 vs. ucs2 ... etc.)
4. How easy will you be able to add text in a third language
to screens in both languages? (see #3 above as well)

I'll leave the Perl related technical side to others to
answer.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il