[Israel.pm] OT: Copying intangible property

Issac Goldstand margol at beamartyr.net
Wed Mar 24 09:04:44 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikhael Goikhman" <migo at homemail.com>
To: "Perl in Israel" <perl at perl.org.il>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 6:48 PM
Subject: [Israel.pm] OT: Copying intangible property

> On 24 Mar 2004 14:58:27 +0200, Jason Elbaum wrote:
> >
> > I certainly can equate illegal copying with stealing, even if the law
> > doesn't. Try and stop me! :-b
> >
> > I believe that a man has the right to the value of the product of his
> > labor, should he want it, and that benefiting from that labor without
> > permission is morally a form of theft. I intend to continue to call it
that.

> Consider this case, some monopoly X sells some product charging $1000.
> Another company Y arrives and presents a similar product for $100.
> Your morality says Y is stealing from X. My morality says X should adapt
> to competition, provide something better than Y, and stop to curse Y.

Now consider the opposite: Company Y slaves at creating a product and sells
it at the modest price of $1000.  Now monopoly X somehow comes out with a
competing product and sells it at $100.

That's still fair, even if mean (rich company can afford to price lower and
deliberately undercut smaller company)

Now, company Y develops this $1000 product and cracker Z goes and spreads a
free version of company Y's labor over the Net for free.

That's DEFINATELY not fair (and that's how this thread started, too)

  Yitzchak