[Israel.pm] awk equivalent

Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Mon Mar 22 22:55:56 PST 2004

Your version (and Oron's) are the ones I looked for.

                      "Offer Kaye"
                      <oferk at oren.co.i         To:      "Perl in Israel" <perl at perl.org.il>
                      l>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE: [Israel.pm] awk equivalent
                      perl-bounces at per
                      03/23/2004 08:34
                      Please respond
                      to Perl in

> Hi,
> What is the Perl equivalent of:

Haven't you asked this already? Oh well, here's my version:
1. awk '{print $3}' filename
1. perl -alpe'$_=$F[2]' filename

2. awk -Fc '{print $3}' filename
2. perl -Fc -alpe'$_=$F[0]' filename

> I know how to get it done in Perl, but my question is about "equivalent"
> code.
> Yossi

If you know how to do it, what are you asking? Obviously TIMTOWTDI (duh!),
so how do you define "equivalent" in this context? The "best" way? The most
"awk like" way? What?

Offer Kaye
Perl mailing list
Perl at perl.org.il