[Israel.pm] Safari review

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Mar 22 03:45:41 PST 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 14:09, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> > > No, and I hope no one else will publish here sites with stolen books
> > > (or software or anything else).
>
> Before I answer Shlomi I'd like to make clear that the above statement was
> not reflecting anything about Yossi. There are legitimate sites with a
> couple of books that can be legitimately distributed. Pointing to them is
> OK. Pointing to sites that illegally distribute books/CDs/Videos whatever
> is not acceptable on this mailing list. See below.
>
> > Just a correction. Books that are illegally copied are not "stolen".
> > There's a world of difference between infringing on copyrights and
> > staeling, theft or "piracy". Copyrights are not tangible property.
> >
> > For more information refer to:
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html
>
> I hope Shlomi you are not indicating that it is ok with you to copy
> books or whatever else despite what is written on them that is forbidden
> to do so ?

I am not saying it is OK to illegaly copy copyrighted material. Much the
contrary. However, I do think there's still a world of difference between
such actions and stealing. Stealing is taking without permission a material
object that is not yours. Thus, the owner of the object has one less copy of
it and you have one more yourself. In illegal copying, each one have a copy
of the same book/software/song/whatever, and the original is not harmed.

> Please refer to the discussion on (I think) HaMakor mailing
> list about exactly this topic.
> I understand and accept if you think it would be better if all the books
> would be Freely available but the way to reach that is not by illegally
> copying them and then explaining it is not stealing.

I know. That wasn't my point. My point was that you could not call an illegal
copying of a digital good "stealing" or "theft", because these words are not
appropriate in this context.

> The way is that you
> create competing material, distribute it Freely and let the market decide.
> And Shlomi, please don't point us now to thing you created so far.
> Just go and create.

What the hell does this has to do with anything?

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il