[Israel.pm] Safari review

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Mon Mar 22 04:09:22 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> On Sunday 21 March 2004 15:20, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> > >  But why would you take the trouble of wgeting them when you can
> > > ftp most of the books from various sites where other wget-ers publish
> > > them ?
> > >
> > > Can you give some such ftp sites ?
> >
> > No, and I hope no one else will publish here sites with stolen books (or
> > software or anything else).

Before I answer Shlomi I'd like to make clear that the above statement was
not reflecting anything about Yossi. There are legitimate sites with a
couple of books that can be legitimately distributed. Pointing to them is
OK. Pointing to sites that illegally distribute books/CDs/Videos whatever
is not acceptable on this mailing list. See below.

> Just a correction. Books that are illegally copied are not "stolen". There's a
> world of difference between infringing on copyrights and staeling, theft or
> "piracy". Copyrights are not tangible property.
>
> For more information refer to:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

I hope Shlomi you are not indicating that it is ok with you to copy
books or whatever else despite what is written on them that is forbidden
to do so ? Please refer to the discussion on (I think) HaMakor mailing
list about exactly this topic.
I understand and accept if you think it would be better if all the books
would be Freely available but the way to reach that is not by illegally
copying them and then explaining it is not stealing. The way is that you
create competing material, distribute it Freely and let the market decide.
And Shlomi, please don't point us now to thing you created so far.
Just go and create.

EOP

Gabor

[1] EOP = End Of Preach