[Israel.pm] Book reviews

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Mar 16 02:30:21 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> http://www.perl.org.il/bookreviews/finite_state_morphology.html

I can gladly give a lecture where I explain (gently) the
basics of regular expressions and finite-state transducers
(not the Perl meaning of "regular-expressions", though, but
the mathematical meaning of a "regular-expression") and
demonstrate the material using the xfst language.

It should be noted, though, that Perl's regular expression
engine works in a completely different way.

The material I suggest to present will be useful for:
1. efficiency representing string recognizers and
transducers
2. a computational model which is pretty easy to grasp
3. this might be useful to those of you who used to learn
(or are going to learn) anything which relates to
"automata and formal languages" or "compilation" as some of
the very basic terms and concepts will be demonstrated.

I can do the lecture with a computer-science inclination or
with a linguistic inclination -- it depends on the
interested parties.

Please let me know if there is interest and how you'd like
to see the material.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il