[Israel.pm] unicode characters in your code

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Sat Mar 13 11:17:28 PST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> Do you mean that you want $str = "binary_data"; to be interpreted by Perl
> as utf8 string? I think (please someone correct me), Perl code itself is
> considered ascii, so this is not possible, you should either use \x{...}
> notation or read the unicode data from stdin/file using utf8 encoding.

Yes. That's my intention.

> Starting with 5.8.1, a new "perl -C" option is introduced that makes your
> stdin/stdout and other streams to be considered utf8. Read "man perlrun"
> in the recent perl versions. You may also use "use utf8;" or unicode
> locale for this.
>
> BTW, perl 5.8.0 has some known bugs with unicode locale that are fixed in
> 5.8.1. It is possible this does not affect you. Still, I think you should
> upgrade your perl if you want to use advanced unicode features.

Thanks.
I wasn't aware of that.
I cannot upgrade as Perl 5.8.0 is assumed elsewhere where
this code should run.

I might later on try and upgrade Perl on some other
development environment and see if things break and if I can
make it work on both versions.

Thanks.

--
Shlomo Yona