[Israel.pm] Perl for C, C++, C#, Java, COBOL and VB programme rs

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Fri Mar 12 04:21:53 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Eitan Schuler wrote:

> Gabor,
> My only question is if we "sell" today perl as an easy-to-use scripting
> language that can help us in text-processing, How can we convince the same
> people a year later that the same language fits to develop a very complex
> CGI or whatever whole system.

Well, Perl can be used for both.
In my recent "marketing" efforts I got the feeling that in companies where
there is noone strong in Perl it is impossible to get them to even
consider Perl for more serious things. (Which is actually quite logical[1]
and we don't have a very large advertising pocket to convince otherwise).

They *might* be open to learn it as a helper language and then they
*might* gradually find it useful for larger applications too.

At leat that's my bet.

Gabor

[1] If you have a project written in language X with 10-20 or even more
programmers knowing that language you can't just one day
decied you move to language Y. Even if that language is more suitable
to the task. If this happens, that would be the exception, not the rule.
On the other hand you can delegate small and unrelated task to another,
more suitable language.