[Israel.pm] Perl for C, C++, C#, Java, COBOL and VB programme rs

Yuval Kogman lists at woobling.org
Wed Mar 10 14:36:20 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:49:12 +0200, Gaal Yahas wrote:

> It's great to have your swiss army knife, but sometimes all you need is
> a screwdriver.

If we overstretch the metaphore - a swiss army knife, despite having a
corkscrew built in, is not terribly elegant nor comfortable for openning
wine bottles at a dinner party.

I'm glad that Perl is as useful as a SAK, but doesn't need to be as
yucky.

> Then again: sometimes you're on different platforms. Perl code is fairly
> portable (on unix, it is quite portable). If you have the dubious pleasure
> of working on the unmodern unices, for example. chances are you won't have
> gnu tools and your grep will be missing "-B"efore and "-A"fter on HP-UX or
> AIX. In those cases it's great to have Perl, even some old perl5.003_02.

Oi. I spent around 15 minutes, several times trying to use 'tar' on
whatever (SunOS, Digital Unix, Solaris) they have at the university
occasionally.  Then i'd give up and read the manpage with more instead
of less. Not that less would work too well, since most modern values of
the $TERM environment variable are not present in terminfo database. and
pico. oh how i hate typing nano -w ^Upico 50 times a day, when i've
gotten over something better (improved, that is) is not available
either. Ofcourse, where there's pico there's pine, and where there's
pine there's never mutt. Or wget & curl. Or ICK! - you get the idea.

I have been waiting about a year to unload this somewhere. =)

> > The number of times I write 'cat' in one day is remarkable in contrast
> > to it's out-of-the-box usefulness.
>
> (Vying for a Useless Use of Cat award, are we? :)

Yes, my trademark use for a dead cat will be

	"quick and dirty plumbing modifications"

I meant to imply that i'm terrificly good at it too, with all that fancy
jargon. ;-)

 /\  kung foo master: shazzambangwhaapp: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!