[Israel.pm] Perl for C, C++, C#, Java, COBOL and VB programme rs

Eitan Schuler Eitan.schuler at exlibris.co.il
Wed Mar 10 10:39:59 PST 2004

Gabor,
I am thinking of a very simple example in COBOL:
CALL is the command to run an other program with parameters.
When the parameters of an existing program change, need to grep for all the
appearances of CALL to it, and correct the parameters on the caller side.
(unlike in C++ and VB where you can add optional parameters with default
values, in COBOL you can't as far as I know)
In my prev. company I was really shocked when I heard that a programmer sat
for about 2 days to fix the caller programs.

Then I came and asked: "why didn't we do it in perl?"
The answer was that they can't trust in 100% in an automatic code-writer.
They prefer to invest 2 days of a programmer than to take the chance that we
forget something in a regular expression in a special case and the perl will
make code wrong.
The production code is not the beta-site of "learning perl in 21 days"

My feeling was that they just couldn't cover in the task specification
exactly all grammatical code-contexts where the change should have been
made. That's why the preferred "human eyes" to scan.

So. The most important thing is that managers should start to trust in perl,
and in perl programmers.
This should be the basic to your idea. And then it can make revolutions.

Regards
Eitan