[Israel.pm] Perl for C, C++, C#, Java, COBOL and VB programmers

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Wed Mar 10 00:52:02 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> So here is where I need your help. There are lots of people in here who do
> program in the above languages. So what task could you delegate to Perl
> which don't go into the final product ?

I'm lately doing heavy development using a language called
xfst (see:
http://www.xrce.xerox.com/competencies/content-analysis/fsCompiler/home.en.html
and also here: http://www.fsmbook.com/).

If you thought Perl was cryptic, wait till you see this
one... Still, it has it pluses (e.g., the resulting code
is gusranteed to run in linear time in the length of the
i/o).

In order to find my way in the development of a
morphological analyzer/generator for Hebrew I needed to
create a development environment for xfst where I can get
some testing tools, debugging tools, and so on.

Perl was very useful helping me implement various tests for
the system I'm developing.
Perl was very useful creating, parsing and manipulating my
data (input and sometimes output as well).
Perl was useful in creating tools for demonstration of the
system in "play scenarios"...

I can go on and on.

Specific examples can be given to the interested parties
upon request :-)

The nice thing here is:
I cannot build the system with the mathematical
properties and computational benefits I need using any other
language (except, perhaps for FSA (see:
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~vannoord/Fsa/) or FSM (see:
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/fsm/) -- which are
greate too but are not suitable to my needs in my specific
project), but still -- Perl is heavily used to soften hard
situations where I'm in lack of tools. Perl is so useful in
creating powerful utilities in a short time that it really
saved me a lot of time and problems. I cannot imagine doing
it this fast without using Perl.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il