[Israel.pm] DNS Servers in Perl...?

Offer Kaye oferk at oren.co.il
Mon Mar 8 03:51:17 PST 2004

> Offer,
>
> I've seen these modules before but...
> Is it possible to give every user a different reply?
> What if the user's using his ISP's DNS server which is going to cache my
> server's reply anyway (coming to think of it, the ISP can't be global
> and will be in one country...)?
> How can I make my DNS server "aware" if one server falls?

I'm afraid I don't know how to answer these questions. Sorry...

> Any algos for getting the closest server by the user's IP?

The DNS resolver will always query the closest DNS server. See:
http://www.verisign.com/resources/gd/dns/overview.html

> Most important, why didn't anyone do it already???
> Except maybe for 3DNS by F5, but that must be expensive...
>

>   --Yuval

This is an old project called WebDNS, it might be worthwhile to look at the
code (it is written in Perl):
http://hem.passagen.se/hno/webdns/
There is also a commercial Perl script which has almost the same name ("PC
WebDNS"), however it costs $400 to buy:
http://www.perlcoders.com/main/scripts.html?script=PC%20WebDNS

So it is not impossible to do these things in Perl, just expensive... ;)