[Israel.pm] Unified Perl installation

David Baird david.baird at homemail.com
Mon Jun 28 03:49:46 PDT 2004

> I have a network that contains a Solaris x86, an Irix 6.4 and Linux,
> with a possibility that in the future a FreeBSD machine will be added.
>
> I wonder whether it would be good and healthy to maintain a unified
> $LIBDIR/perl5 tree for all the os-s, considering Perl does check
> and install architecture dependencies properly.

I keep all architecture Perl installations separate. I figure that when
I install a module, I don't know if it has a binary associated, so I
install the module once for each architecture. A large percent of the
Perl installation is made of binaries. Each port of a new Perl release
is not stable at the same time. For all these reasons, it seems safer to
keep each port of Perl separate. My current mix is Solaris 2.6, Solaris
2.8, RH8 Linux, RH9 Linux, and Windows XP.

-David