[Israel.pm] Re: Upcomming meeting: Hebrew and Perl

Yehuda Berlinger jon at actcom.co.il
Wed Jun 16 14:24:12 PDT 2004

> I don't think this has anything to do with "Hebrew and Perl".

Well, I suppose if you are unconcerned about what 90% of the viewers
of your site are going to see when they look at your Perl CGI script,
then maybe you're right. I think it has a lot to do with Hebrew and
Perl, because I need to know what to do in Perl so that my scripts
will work properly with Hebrew on most browsers.

> The issue is your web server is configured to set some default
> charset, like iso8859-1 or utf-8, if not otherwise specified in
> cgi.

This may be, but since I have no access to the web server, which is
being run by a hosting site, I can't really deal with that.

> And many browsers prefer the charset specified in HTTP headers to
> the one in HTML if there are both. Whether this is a correct
> browser behaviour is left aside.

Of course. Opera had no problem.

> The solution is either to set HTTP headers in cgi or to reconfigure
> the web server not to set any default charset in Content-Type
> header.

The latter solution was not open to me. The first solution is what I
did, but not without a lot of time wasted looking for and not finding
the answer, since everyone, everywhere says "Oh just add <META
content-type blah blah into your HTML, and make sure the browser is
set to autoselect" which did not work. It would have been nice if
someone, somewhere had a record of this difficulty and the solution I
found. That's why I posted.

Yehuda