[Israel.pm] web forum markup language

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Tue Jun 15 20:14:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Shlomo Yona wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
> > I am just not sure if I should use he [] tags or <> tags ?
>
> If the open tag and close tag characters are parametric in
> your implementation, you can deffer this decision for as
> much as you want.

and if I understand your line if after using one markup for 3 month
I decide to change it I can actually leave the old code in there
and set a flag that all messages that were posted before the date
of the change are to be displayed with method 1 while all posts
after that date will use the new method.

That is of course needed only if the old messages might not be
compatible with the new markup.

That's OK. What I would like to make sure though is that I can
extend my markup without breaking any previous message. So I
need an extensible markup language.
Hmm, that sounds familiar.

I also have to make sure to reject any post that uses some extension
of the current markup language. This way I can extend my markup without
the need to maintain versions and without the fear of breaking old posts
with my new markup.