[Israel.pm] web forum markup language

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Tue Jun 15 13:08:59 PDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Yosef Meller wrote:

> You could try a diostinction between two kinds of parens. Many web
> forums use brackets for markup ( [code] [/code] [b] [i] [/i] [/b] ) and
> escape all the rest (But I don't remmember how they escape [] ). You
> should look at forums using "vB forums" - I think www.gentoo.com is one
> of them.

On gentoo.org that is a phpbb forum. It uses, what they call bbcode
that, as you described above, uses [xxx][/xxx] tags for markup.

It also uses :arrow: markup to show an arrow image and there are a number
of such images/smilies just to make things more difficult.

They also allow HTML tags.

I played a bit with it:

[code]<STDOUT>[/code]              shows <STDOUT> correctly as code

<STDIN>                            shows <STDIN> correctly as text
[code] $a =~ m{[b]qq[/b]}[/code]   shows correctly as code with twp
                                   character classes in it.

[code] $a =~ /[code]/[/code]       breaks and does not recognize the
                                   internal [code] as a character class.

so far this looks the best for me.
I am just not sure if I should use he [] tags or <> tags ?