Power Consumption Issues (was: Re: [Israel.pm] Final word on tabs and spaces)

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Tue Jun 15 07:02:08 PDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Gaal Yahas wrote:

> So the question remains: spaces or tabs? I have to say I'm going for spaces,
> but only for legacy reasons. Once the world accepts the above fact, there'll
> be no difference if we use spaces or tabs. But until that is widely the case,
> the programs will probably be stored in ASCII, where spaces need less set bits
> to be stored, thus minimizing power requirements and easing load on circuitry.

When I was practicing electronics engineering rather than software
development, in the pre-CMOS era, it used to be that '1' consumed less
power than '0' in technologies like TTL and NMOS.

Now, that the world and its dog uses CMOS-derived technologies, power
consumption is dominated by rate of flipping of the values of the bits.
                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.