[Israel.pm] Final word on tabs and spaces

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Tue Jun 15 06:50:43 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:40:55PM +0300, Jason Elbaum wrote:
> The prize for the most effective use of tabs and spaces in source code,
> of course, goes to Acme::Bleach by Dr. Damian Conway:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Acme-Bleach-1.12/lib/Acme/Bleach.pm
>
> Proving, of course, that the question isn't whether to prefer tabs or
> spaces, but whether the rest of the characters are even necessary.

Heh. You do realize, of course, that only *one* is neccessary? If you
enumerate all possible programs, you can use unary to represent any program
at all.

So the question remains: spaces or tabs? I have to say I'm going for spaces,
but only for legacy reasons. Once the world accepts the above fact, there'll
be no difference if we use spaces or tabs. But until that is widely the case,
the programs will probably be stored in ASCII, where spaces need less set bits
to be stored, thus minimizing power requirements and easing load on circuitry.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/