[Israel.pm] Version Control Systems talk

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Tue Jun 15 06:21:44 PDT 2004

On 15 Jun 2004 10:13:44 +0300, David Baird wrote:

> > I will try to cover some of these points, but please keep in
> > mind, your questions have something to do with commercial projects,
> > and this talk (at least the version for the perl mongers) is
> > intended more for free software developers.
>
> So, you are trying to solve the problem of a private version control
> system?

No, not quite. Private VCS is just one possible application of the idea,
this is useful for many reasons as Shlomo wrote, but I didn't mean it.

I meant the commercial development and free software development have
different requirements and goals, sometimes completely opposite. If we
simplify things, the commercial developement deals with secrets, the
more closed developement the better. In the FS worlds, the more open
developement is better. There are also mostly no problems with hardware,
every developer has all needed software or may easily install it. There
is no problems with servers either, sourceforge.net, savannah.gnu.org and
many others provide the hosting for free projects.

So, if I would talk to commercial listeners, I needed to cover such
issues like cost of equipment, cost of software, administration of
servers, administration of clients, security of data, integration with
the rest of the bussiness infrastructure and other boring business talk.
Here, I don't really ever need to mention these points, they are just
irrelevant. :) But as I said I may cover some of these.

Regards,
Mikhael.