[Israel.pm] Version Control Systems talk

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Jun 15 00:28:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, David Baird wrote:

> I am curious as to what drives someone to
> use version control for home or private use.

I can tell you why I use a version control system for my
projects:

1. backup
2. backup with version
3. documentation

A few words about each:
1. Backup is important for handling catastrophes such as
mistakenly erasing/corrupting your files, software/hardware
crashes which tamper with your code/data. So having extra
copied located someplace else (someplace else can be a
different name, a different directory, a different
partition, a different machine or any combnation of these)
is a good idea which allows you to quickly recover in cases
of crisis.
2. Having backups with versions allow you to backstep to any
previous stage (that you've bothered to check in). This is
useful when you're adding features and fixing bugs and some
version is better doing one thing while the other does
better another thing: you can more easily see several views
of your software. Moreover, this is very educational, you
can browse thgough the stages of development and make
conclusions how you could have made things better.
3. The documentation that you can (and should!) attach to
the versions you check in is priceless! It helps you to
quickly understand why one version differes from the other
(how they are different you can tell by diffing the code).

I think these are a good enough reason for using a personal
version control system.
--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il