[Israel.pm] Version Control Systems talk

David Baird david.baird at homemail.com
Tue Jun 15 00:13:44 PDT 2004

> I will try to cover some of these points, but please keep in
> mind, your questions have something to do with commercial projects,
> and this talk (at least the version for the perl mongers) is
> intended more for free software developers.

So, you are trying to solve the problem of a private version control
system? I think you should include a point about why someone would want
a private version control tool in the first place. I'm not opposed to
the idea, and I use my company's $3000 a license version control product
for my single person projects. I am curious as to what drives someone to
use version control for home or private use.

Another point, if that is the problem you are addressing, what makes you
think that any of the tools you are reviewing are intended for personal
use? CVS is one of the tools of choice for XP teams and Subversions'
objective is a CVS replacement for commercial projects.

You'll have to excuse me for my inquivaness before the lecture. Like
other Israel Perl Mongers, software configuration management (SCM) is my
profession and expertise, and version control tools lie at the heart of
SCM.

-David