[Israel.pm] Version Control Systems talk

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:05:29 PDT 2004

On 14 Jun 2004 19:11:02 +0300, Yuval Yaari wrote:

> Though, arch lacks some features so people might want you to focus on
> CVS/svn instead:
> from http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/SubVersionAndCvsComparison :

Don't take any boolean comparison, especially on the wiki, too seriously.
People from different systems change that page to their liking all the
time. :) And with a slightly different definition of words you may get
completely opposite results.

> "Mixed working copy revisions" - no.

This means the whole working tree is just one revision with changes, or
individual files may be of different revisions. The answer "yes" does not
point to any strengths, it may even point to some design flaws. The same
problem could be solved differently without resorting to mixed revisions.

> "Repository protected against corruption" - no.

I would personally remove this category. It heavily depends on the
meaning of the word "corruption". If by this one means possible bugs in
the special server software, then the answer here is yes|no for arch|svn;
if the meaning is possible system administration flaws then the answer
may be no|yes. Anything in the middle is possible too, see the comments.

> "Spaces in Filenames" - no.

Spaces and all other fancy characters are supported in the latest arch
developement version.

> I have tons of unsorted questions, I'll try to gather them up.

Ok, I will try to answer all of them if we have a time.

Regards,
Mikhael.