[Israel.pm] Class::DBI Talk

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Mon Jun 14 10:17:24 PDT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 19:22, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> In general, Class::DBI made my projects more focused on their goals, the
> code is much more easier to maintain, things are really straightforward.
> The only thing you're giving up is speed, and I guess it's not always
> that important.
> It wasn't for me.
>
> Having 0 (z-e-r-o) SQL is great.
> Database changes that doesn't necessarily "hurt" your code is devine.
> Not writing SQL makes development time so much shorter.

CDBI sounds like a great idea, but I'm curious how it works with complex table
relationships? I have an app for managing different types of customer data
(eg one customer can have data for life insurance and mortgage, in many
distinct tables) with a primary table that pulls in data from all these other
tables, if present.

I've written some custom code to generate the sql to pull in the pertinent
data (it has to be flexible, because new data types can be added any time).
Can CDBI handle complex relationships like this automatically?

Scott