[Israel.pm] binary vectors representation

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Sun Jun 13 06:44:33 PDT 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Offer Kaye wrote:

> > > 1. Use bzip2/gzip on your data file. The simplest and perhaps easiest
> > > approach.
> >
> > That's probably very space efficient, but I'm not sure how
> > simple it is to implement.
>
>    system("bunzip2 infile.bz2");
>    #work on infile
>    system("bzip2 infile");

> Where's the problem?

That's not practical -- I'll still need to have the full
blown file on disk.

I thought you ment that I can get compression on the fly and
then extact one "item" at a time without needing to extract
the whole file.

> > Also, I don't know PDL...
> Well, then, here's your chance/reason to learn it :-)

Problem is -- there's always things to learn but the time to
finish the project is finite :-)

I cannot spend all my time learning, I also need to produce
things...

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il