[Israel.pm] Re: Variable Naming

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Thu Jun 10 00:28:19 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 22:32, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> 1) If you end up with only initial \t in all your files then you don't
> use "smart" auto-indentation of your editor, see my definition. :)

You are forgetting something.
Initial \t isn't always perfect.
E.g:
my %abcxyz = (
[tabs, spaces, whetever - I need to match the ( sign]yuval => 1
);

But if you're only looking on regualr stuff, my editor gives only \t (or
a few of them).

> 2) Something tells me that you do sometimes have mixed initial tabs and
> spaces in your files, because you use a "smart" editor. Open your large
> files with tab size 3 and 13 to see whether you pass the hardcoding test.

I only get this result in my above example.
I /can/ make it use only tabs but then it won't look as neat.
If I change tab size (and indent level) to anything, it still looks
nice, in the regular stuff (if blocks, foreach blocks, etc - not hash
decleration and not in-the-middle-of-the-line stuff).

> > That's why people claim "tabs are evil", I guess.
>
> People who claim this, usually mean "tabs in the middle of line are evil"
> (true) and "mixed initial tabs and spaces are evil" (true) and "my editor
> creates smart files, so indentation tabs should be evil" (not true).  :)

I agree with the first 2.
What are smart files?

  --Yuval