[Israel.pm] Re: Variable Naming

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Wed Jun 9 12:32:09 PDT 2004

On 09 Jun 2004 21:18:02 +0300, Yuval Yaari wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman said:
>
> > If "smart" editors do not always use a multiple of your tab size in
> > the indentation (and they don't), then it does not matter whether you
> > save using tabs or spaces. You always end up with files with either
> > hardcoded indention (4 spaces) or hardcoded tab size (4 spaces).
>
> If I set indent-level and tab-size to the same integer (8, in my case) I
> only have real tabs (read: \t) in my files.

1) If you end up with only initial \t in all your files then you don't
use "smart" auto-indentation of your editor, see my definition. :)

2) Something tells me that you do sometimes have mixed initial tabs and
spaces in your files, because you use a "smart" editor. Open your large
files with tab size 3 and 13 to see whether you pass the hardcoding test.

> That's why people claim "tabs are evil", I guess.

People who claim this, usually mean "tabs in the middle of line are evil"
(true) and "mixed initial tabs and spaces are evil" (true) and "my editor
creates smart files, so indentation tabs should be evil" (not true).  :)

Regards,
Mikhael.