[Israel.pm] recursive regex

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Wed Jun 9 11:57:29 PDT 2004

Shlomo Yona said:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Yuval Yaari wrote:
>
>> > Yuval, why aren't you using some XML parser?
>> I am not using it, to be honest.
>> I think I even wrote it back then - I am far from being an XML fiend.
> Just try using the xmlpretty. It does what you need without
> you needing to know anything about XML :-)

A co-worker asked me if I know a Perl module that does this.
I said "I am not an XML fiend, but let me give my best shot writing a
little something".
And I did. Took me 5 minutes, and that's why the code is ugly.
I bet there are possible gotchas, but we tested on all our files and it
worked well.

XML is readable by programs, but not by me (all the schemas and things you
like! :)) that's why I don't like it.

Using it tranparently between programs (XML-RPC, SOAP, and friends) might
be cool.

Which reminds me: which of these could pass Perl objects well?
I wrote a simple distributed HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench.
Which could work to test a load-balanced, strong, web server.
Or you could be (or buy me!) a T3 and use it for fun and profit...

I was using Frontier which caused troubles when passing objects between
the client and the server.

The script basically uses multicast to check for all "nodes" that could
work with it, etc.
Pretty nice, could do some harm so I will never release the code.

That just was my first and last attempt to use RPC.

  --Yuval